After some six months of planning, scouring the Internet for campsites that take dogs, finding the best route to get from La Cygne, Kansas to Mount Rushmore, packing, repacking, buying gear, dumping gear that turned out to be a bad buy, and generally getting ready, we at long last stood poised for takeoff. Like the astronauts of NASA or matadors putting on their suits of light in preparation for what may be their last dance of death, we dressed and assembled on the lawn. In front of an overloaded van topped by a Grumman canoe acting as a cartop carrier, and a 33-year-old pop-up camper, we hustled and bustled to get the last bits of detritus and all five of us into the vehicle. Neil Armstrong went to the moon easier than this.
It's 2:30 in the afternoon and we have to be in Ohio that night. Our campground is the same place we stayed at last year on our first trip with "Pop-Pop" as the camper was fondly refered to. One last double check, and finally, finally, FINALLY we're off!
Until we get nine miles from the house and steam starts coming out of engine compartment. We make plans and G-d laughs. At least I hope HE was laughing, because I certainly wasn't.
It's the compressor of the air conditioning. That piece that Danny Harris, my top-drawer, ultra-honest mechanic warned me about, "It's eventually going to give out, but it doesn't make sense to replace it until it dies." Out on I-70, nine miles into The Trip of a Lifetime? Say it ain't so!
I want to cool down the dying part, but do I have any water? Oh, nooo. What do I have? A two liter bottle of icy cold caffeine-free diet Coke. Of course, the children don't hand me one of the many bottles of regular soda - just the only diet soda I have.
Well, Danny's on speed dial on my cell phone. I catch him at home.
"Told you it would give out eventually."
"Yes, Danny, I'm not complaining that it gave out without warning, all I'm saying is this is a really bad time to have to take the kids and turn around."
"Then keep going and get it fixed tomorrow."
"The engine won't blow up?"
"Shouldn't. Just don't run the air conditioning."
Well, duh. "Yes, Danny I'll be careful."
"And watch your temperature guage."
"O.K., Danny."
"And call me if you get stuck."
"Danny, I'm headed west, you know."
"I know Karen, but at least I can talk to the mechanic for you."
"Thanks, Danny. If I need my hand held, I'll call."
"Anytime." Those words would come back to haunt him.
Sunday, July 15, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment